More control panel work, and started painting

Purchased the rest of the perspex from Maisey’s and started cutting out the holes in the perspex for the control panel. Disaster struck – I pushed down on the drill too hard and it cracked šŸ™

2nd attempt – a few lessons learned. Take it slower and drill half the depth from each side of the perspex. The holes then came out perfect.

Fitted the joysticks to the control panel.

Also added a mains rocker switch to the cabinet so I can have one switch will will switch on the PC, lights, TV etc.

Added in screw caps

Gave the MDF a light sanding, filled in a few holes, masked off the TV and am now ready to apply the primer. Wood work finally done!

Started on the control panel

Made all the measurements for the 2 joysticks, 2 x player buttons and 2 sets of 8 buttons.

Routed out the bit for the joysticks.

Also screwed in the speaker panels. I was going to use brackets but its difficult to access them on the inside of the cabinet so I ended up screwing them in on the sides.

Once its all done I’ll use those plastic caps to hide the screws.

Rear door installed

Installed the rear door and added a lock. Had real problems lining up the door and some of the gaps are bigger than I’d hoped for. I should have also used sturdier hinges. The door is fairly heavy since its made from MDF. You might want to use a lighter door, or make the panel at the bottom bigger so that the door doesn’t have to be so long.

Woodward almost complete

Cut the speaker panel to size and installed.

Control panel cut to size and installed.

Speakers that were removed from the TV installed.

After almost breaking my back the TV has been installed. I had to further cut it to size as it was slightly too wide. Ā It weighs a ton!

The rear of the TV – its too big! It sticks out the back of the arcade!

More cutting to do!!

More panels installed

Fitted the top panels and started on the monitor panel.

Purchased a slot cutting 2.4mm routing bit from Brights. This is used with a router to cut slots for the T-Molding. You really need a 1/16 inch slot cutting bit but it seems they are impossible to find. The next closest size I could get my hands on was a 2.4mm bit. Close enough. With a router it makes quick work cutting the slots – the T-Molding will then fit perfectly.

Top panel

Top panel measured, cut to size and fitted.

Purchased and installed coin door.

I bought a coin safety door, coin slot and t-edging from Indoor Amusements

Cut the coin door to size, cut out a hole for the safety door and fitted.

Bill of Materials

Added in spreadsheet to keep a running tab of the costs and where items where purchased.

Arcade Cabinet Bill of Materials

Side panels

Cute base to size

Fitted castor wheels

Left and right side panels

Fitted support beam and front panel

Measuring and cutting out side panels

After a lot of reading up and visiting tons of cabinet building sites I eventually decided to settle on the Centipede cabinet design. See here for plans and a pic

I’ve also uploaded some close up shots of the Centipede arcade which I’m going to base my build on.

First thing was to measure out the side panels.

After double checking theĀ measurementsĀ (The old saying still applies – measure twice, Ā cut once) its time to start cutting. Ā You will make you life a lot easier and save yourself a lot of trouble if you made use of clamps when you are working.

Finally finished cutting out both side panels:

Also cut the sides off the TV so it doesn’t make the width of the cabinet too wide.