Temperatures and pH probe

A few of the parts I ordered have finally arrived.

– DS1307 RTC

– pH Probe

– 3.2 TFT Screen

– DS18B20 Temperature Sensors

 

I’ve been using the Dallas Temperature control library for the temperature sensors. They really work well.

http://milesburton.com/Dallas_Temperature_Control_Library

 

Also using the following library for the 3.2 TFT screen with touch.

http://henningkarlsen.com/electronics/library.php?id=34

 

So far all the example arduino sketches I have tried out are working – rtc, sd card, tft

I’ve now added in a ENC28J60 ethernet module. For that I’ve used the following library:

https://github.com/jcw/ethercard

 

This was a real bugger to get going but it seems to be working and sending sample values to Xively. (Was Cosm, before that Pachube)

 
I’m still busy testing so fake values are being used.
 

 

Can’t these guys just decide on a name.

 

I also looked at Thingspeak to store data – still deciding between the two.

 

Arduino aquarium controller

So I’ve been reading up all about open source aquarium controllers and some of the projects people are putting together is amazing. I though I’d startup my own project which will do the basics and then I’ll add on modules as I get the time.

Its going to take while to do this project but its going to be very interesting.

I’d like to also complete a Arduino LED controller for the aquarium but I think that will be the next project.

For starters I’ve found these links which will be very helpful:

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/196161-reefbuddy-diy-aquarium-controller-89/

https://code.google.com/p/aquatroller/

http://www.aquariumcontroller.net/diy.html

For starters I plan to use a Arduino Mega 2560 with a 3.2″ TFT Screen and DS1307 RTC.

pH measurements will be takes with a pH probe which you can get cheaply from eBay.

I’ll be using the pH amplifier from here:

http://www.electro-tech-online.com/electronic-projects/41430-ph-amplifier-micro.html

Temperatures from  DS18B20 sensors and salinity from a EC conductivity probe. I’m still looking for ways to impletement this as this looks like the trickiest part of the project.

First thing is first – need to order an Arduino Mega 2560

 

[ad]

Ordering parts

I’ve ordered the following parts  – mostly off ebay.

 

DHT22 Sensor

DHT22 Sensor

Pressure Sensor

Pressure Sensor

Ethernet module for Arduino

Ethernet module for Arduino

AtMega328

AtMega328

Arduino Weather Station

I finally decided to build my own weather station using the Arduino Uno.

 

The first stage of the project will be to monitor temperature, pressure and humidity.

 

From reading up a bit on the subject I’ve come across the following sites to help me get started:

 

Construction of modules

Finally started putting the temperature, humidity and pressure sensors together. Added in a DHT22, BMP085 and ENC28J60 ethernet module.

Downloaded the following libraries:

Had to hunt around a bit for libraries that were compatible with the new Arduino Software

Humidity Sensor

Humidity Sensor

Ethernet Module

Ethernet Module

Pressure & Temperature Sensor

Pressure & Temperature Sensor

100_7339-150x150

 

Monitor bezel finally installed

Finally got around to installing the monitor bezel and configuring the joysticks and buttons.

One thing I realized is that I mounted the joysticks upside down. 🙁 At least they are fully configurable in Mame and up is now down and down is up 🙂

The graphics on the TV is not as clear as I would like it to be – need to look into why this is, but its all very playable and have already put a few hours into bubble bobble 🙂 The camera pics are a bit out of focus so it looks a lot worse than it really is.

No updates for a while

I still haven’t quite finished things off yet – still need to configure the buttons and finished off the PC setup. Hopefully I”ll get some time soon and finish it off. It’s 99% complete 🙂

Connecting up all the electronics

Connected up the coin door mechanism and wired it into the joystick.

Inserted push to make reset button to power on the PC. I thought this last minute add on might be useful as then I don’t have to keep opening the door to power on the PC.

Wired up my DIY amplifier. Its  a bit of a hack job but in the end it sounds great and works well and didn’t cost much as all to put together.

All the electronics are almost all wired up

Artwork installed

Control panel installed. Its not as flush as I’d like it to be. I might still have to work out what to do on the corner as there is a small gap.

I struggled to find a decent way to mount the marquee. Eventually after checking up on a few sites, the best way to do it is to have some perspex installed in the inside. The marquee is then fitted between the inside perspex and the marquee perspex.

Marquee installed – its also not 100% as there is a small gap at the top. I’ll fix this later on on v2 on the cabinet 🙂

CPO and Marquee Artwork

Speaker grill installed

Now would be a good time to check is the TV actually works! 🙂

Still need to install the TV bezel.

CPO & Wiring

Printed out the CPO on vinyl, installed the joysticks and buttons and wired up.